Thursday, August 4, 2011

History assignment 1

This really isn't that great a photo but it is also quite an important one. I am the curly headed one on the far left and the other three are my three older brothers. It is an important photo because it is my oldest brothers wedding day! He is the first out of us to get married and it was a great day ( apart from the fact that i had food poisoning from the pub the night before and was so sick throughout the day!), there was a family 'bet' of sorts going around about who would be the first to cry during the ceremony and i was picked as third or fourth but i managed to get through it without any tears, although i did get a bit emotional. Josh is my oldest brother and has always looked out for me so i was really happy for him on the day.


On a photography point of view, this really isn't a great image and I am quite disappointed by the photographer. He should have known that 4 young guys are not going to want their photo taken but the significance of the day would force and he should have tried to do a better job. the posing in the photograph is bad, he should have tried to get us closer and I think it is a bit of fail of his behalf.


“Past Perfect”


Upon reading this i was, well I'm not sure exactly what i was thinking. I agree with a lot of what he says, history is relevant and should not be forgotten that I feel is important as well. I did feel however towards the end the writing got a little fluffy and his arguments were not as concrete as the start of his argument.


It was points 2 and 3 that made me think the most, Ray wrote about how knowing the history of something can affect your understanding of it. He explained how he listened to an Art Historian's lecture and he was describing and a piece of art and and how "he missed the point of it". Knowing things about history can help you understand how processes began and their relevance today. He also wrote how photographers make the best historians because they are often focused intently on history and they know about their medium.


I thought it was quite an interesting article and made me think quite a lot 

1 Comments:

Blogger Silvia said...

That's a great photo, regardless of your critical eye as a photographer! It is about family & memory - and as such it stands outside other technical considerations. I actually enjoy how you all look connected but uncomfortable in a body language sort of way - like what to do with the hands, and the need to smile.

good start to the history blog.

August 8, 2011 at 8:30 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home